The onset of monsoon indicates cool showers, refreshingly breezy days and the invigorating promise of an enjoyable season. If you’re an expecting mom this rainy season, it calls for extra precaution but this does not mean that you should miss out on any monsoon fun!
Here are a few tips to make you feel at ease and stay safe this monsoon.
1. Wear loose, comfy clothes- Monsoon means added humidity which results in more uncomfortable perspiration for the mom-to-be. Wear loose clothes made of light fabrics such as cotton or linen. Avoid materials like synthetic and nylon as they tend to retain heat and sweat which may cause rashes.
2. Stay hydrated-Drink lots of water and other fluids in the form of coconut water, fresh juices, lemonade etc. This helps in retaining essential vitamins and also flushes out toxins from the body. One must ensure that the water is clean and filtered before consumption.
3. Stay clean, stay hygienic-Bathe twice a day with antibacterial shower products to keep germs at bay and shield yourself from skin problems. Wash your feet with a disinfectant soap before and after you step outdoors to avoid fungal infections which are extremely widespread during monsoon. Add fresh neem leaves to your bath water. Neem is the best natural anti bacterial substance which is instrumental in keeping you fresh and clean all day.
4. Wear appropriate footwear- Extra attention must be given to your feet and footwear. This is because the damp weather makes one’s feet more susceptible to infections and fungus. Also, never walk barefoot or in rubber soled shoes during the rains to avoid slipping and falling.
5. Eat Fresh and healthy-Street food is a big no during monsoon simply because of hygiene concerns. The streets become a breeding ground for mosquitoes, bacteria and several other viruses. Thus, street food is prone to germ accumulation and should be avoided. Keep away from raw chopped vegetables as they have a tendency to absorb moisture which aids bacterial growth. Instead, one should opt for soups, fresh seasonal fruits and freshly cooked dishes.
6. Keep your house clean-If you’re in the last few months of your pregnancy, there is a high chance that you will be spending most of your time at home. It is vital to keep your surroundings clean and pest free. Use efficient disinfectants to clean the floors and especially the bathrooms. Easy hacks like burning camphor or dry neem leaves will help to keep germs and pollutants away during monsoon.
Make these tips a habit this monsoon and enjoy yourself stress free.The maternity services and care for pregnant women at Apollo Cradle give you all the health and fitness guidelines for your care during this very special time. Ask expert Apollo specialists and clear your doubts/concerns from the comfort of your home at www.askapollo.com. With a few simple lifestyle changes and an extra bit of attention, you and your little one can have a safe and joyful monsoon!