Circumcision is a procedure involving the removal of the skin covering the tip of the penis. It is commonly performed in newborn boys during their initial 10 days of life. It merely takes 5-10 minutes. It is bound to be a bit more complex if performed in later life. For some families, circumcision is a religious ritual. The procedure can also be a matter of family tradition, personal hygiene or preventive health care
What is the procedure of circumcision?
During the procedure:
It is a simpler option to get circumcision in the newborn stage itself rather than in adulthood. The surgeon will perform the procedure within 7-10 days of birth as follows:
● Your doctor will make the male baby lie on his back with his limbs restrained and get the intimate area washed and cleansed.
● Anesthesia will numb the area for the procedure to be performed. It can be in the form of an injection or a cream to be applied on the penis.
● Your doctor will use a special ring or clamp and attach it to the penis. The surgeon will then remove the foreskin.
● After the removal of the foreskin, the nurse will apply an ointment to prevent any infection. It can be a petroleum jelly or topical antibiotic.
The procedure generally takes 7-10 minutes .The success rates are very high in the case of newborns, and the risks are very low. On the other hand, circumcision can also be performed on older boys or men, but the recovery can take longer and can cause pain and discomfort along with an increased risk of complications.
After the procedure:
For a newborn, it can take up to 10 days for a penis to heal. There are a few characteristic features you might witness in your baby after the procedure:
● Sore tip of the penis
● Redness and swelling at the tip of the penis
● The penis might look bruised
● In some cases, minor discharge of a yellow-colored fluid is seen on the tip
These issues will heal with time. Here are some tips to enhance the healing process:
● Do NOT avoid washing the penis while it heals.
● Do change the bandage each time you change the diaper of the newborn.
● Apply the ointment as prescribed by your doctor to prevent any infection and from getting stuck to the diaper.
● Do not tighten the baby’s diaper.
● If your doctor used a plastic ring instead of a bandage, the ring would drop off on its own within a week.
When to see a doctor?
Check for the following problems and contact your doctor immediately if you are facing issues like these–
● Unable to achieve normal urination even after 12 hours of circumcision.
● There is continuous bleeding from the penis.
● There is a foul-smelling discharge from the penis.
● The plastic ring didn’t drop off even after two weeks.
Call 1860-500-1066 to book an appointment
What are the benefits of circumcision?
Circumcision has various health benefits. They are as follows:
● Circumcision makes it easier for the person to maintain hygiene and wash the penis.
● The risk of urinary tract infections (UTI) decreases in circumcised males.
● The risk of sexually transmitted infections (STI) also reduces. Nevertheless, safe sexual practices must be followed.
● Circumcision prevents males from penile problems such as phimosis. Phimosis is the inability to retract the foreskin of the penis. This causes inflammation and redness.
● The risk of penile cancer also decreases in circumcised men.
Though the benefits of circumcision outweigh the complications involved, it should not be ignored. They can be avoided with proper care and management.
What are the complications of circumcision?
If you are planning circumcision for your newly born son or yourself, you will want to know the risks associated with it too, and not just religious beliefs. The complications and risks associated with getting the foreskin circumcised are as follows:
● You might face severe and continuous bleeding.
● There can be development of infection on the tip of the penis.
● Your length of the foreskin was not cut appropriately. It might be left too long or too short.
● Your foreskin might not be able to heal properly.
● The leftover foreskin reattaches to your penis which requires minor surgery.
Seek medical care if the condition worsens. Your doctor will advise you with the treatment and proper care and management that need to be followed.
How to manage circumcision?
A circumcised penis will heal within a week or up to 10 days. It is faster in the case of infants. Like any other surgery, there are risks and complications involved with circumcision. But they can be prevented to an extent by following some precautionary measures. They are as follows:
For an infant
● Wash the penis regularly with soap and water only.
● Do not use diaper wipes to clean the area.
● Apply petroleum jelly or topical antibiotics and cover with a gauze bandage.
● Keep the diaper loosely fastened.
For an adult
● You should drink plenty of water and fluids in the first 24 hours to prevent any dehydration and weakness due to the surgery.
● You should ice your penis for at least 10-20 minutes for 2 hours on the first day.
● Wear loose, soft, and comfortable underwear.
● Keep using the dressing until the doctor advises to take it off.
With these measures, you can reduce your risk of developing a serious infection or any bleeding.
The procedure involves the removal of the skin present on the tip of your penis. It can be a painful procedure and can cause discomfort, especially when performed at the adult age. It has various health benefits and some risks too. . Your doctor will advise you of the pros and cons of getting your penis circumcised and whether you require it.
Frequently asked questions :
1. Who cannot get their foreskin circumcised?
Certain individuals with blood-clotting disorders and premature babies on ventilation are at risk of developing serious complications if they undergo circumcision. New-borns having penis abnormalities should not get their skin circumcised either.
2. Will circumcision affect my fertility?
No, circumcision does not affect or hamper your fertility. It is not related to infertility at all.. It does not affect a person’s libido or sexual pleasure.
3. Is circumcision reversible?
Yes, the process known as foreskin restoration exists and is possible to an extent but not entirely as your skin was cut off during circumcision. There are non-surgical and surgical restoration methods available. Consult your doctor and follow their advice for the same.
Call 1860-500-1066 to book an appointment