Everyone looks out for a cold water bottle during summers very frequently. But in winters, we don’t even bother to think about it all day long. This is not a very healthy practice as the change in season makes very little difference in diminishing water’s importance and requirement by the body.
Why we don’t drink much water in winters?
The reason for feeling less thirsty in winters is quite obvious and simple. Unlike summers, we don’t sweat a lot and hence don’t feel thirsty that often in winters.
Why we need sufficient water in winters as well?
Courtesy pleasant weather, during winters we tend to get hungry fast and end up eating a lot of food. Therefore, to aid and hasten the process of digestion, adequate amount of water consumption is needed by the body. The lack of required amount of water leads to constipation and other digestive problems.
Also, large quantity of water is needed for keeping the skin supple, soft and moisturized during dry wintry conditions.
Maintaining hydration is vital for the proper functioning of body irrespective of date, time, and season.
How much water should one drink in winter?
As a thumb rule, following are considered standard among different men and women.
- Men 8-10 glasses of water
- Women 6-8 glasses of water
- Exercising men 10-14 glasses of water
- Exercising women 8-12 glasses of water
- Lactating women 7-10 glasses of water
All these quantities are in approximation and vary from person to person.
Creative ways to increase water consumption in winters
There can be several interesting ways to consume water in winters other than drinking it in its original form.
- Fall in love with herbal teas this winter. Surprise your taste buds with a verity of them such as ginger, lemon, cinnamon, dandelion, fennel, and peppermint. Herbal teas are known to be rich in antioxidants as well.
- Have a bowl of clear soup before a meal. It will not only fill you up and provide nutrition but also increase the water content in body.
- Use water as a humidifier in the room, especially for children.
- For adults, steam bath can be a good option to instill moisture in body.
A word of caution:
Avoid going overboard in drinking regular tea and coffee during winters as they are high in calorie (because of sugar) and caffeine.